"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

January 11, 2010

REVIEW OF "JOURNEY TO THE SUN"

2008

I would like to review that movie in a sociological manner and try to make observations about the current relationship between the state of Turkey and its minorities but unfortunately the viewpoint of the scriptwriter and her narrating of the story leaves me one choice which is to stay away from the content and focus more on the cinematographic aspect of the production. Below, you are going to read my short criticism for why I choose to review the movie in a cinematographic aspect instead of a sociological manner.

As a political science student, the thing I learned mostly through my college life is to observe and analyze the incidents in multiple perspectives. That means being a side or a supporter and arguing it only the way you prefer for your gain is the thing a political science student should prevent himself from doing. And even not only a political science student but also anyone who is interested in human and its sociological aspects: living conditions, identities etc should avoid looking from only one aspect.

In my humble opinion, the scriptwriter of the movie couldn’t escape clichés and simple symbolisms about the minority issue of Turkey. I can even claim that the horrible movie called Midnight Express would be on the same page on the aspect of being a side and watching the road with blinkers. If I would be a foreigner I would think that all the Kurdish people are nice and perfect like butterflies but on the other hand Turks, who are the so-called ‘only’ responsible community for the oppression of Kurds, are cruel, dirty and rude people. You can’t even see a bad behavior of Kurdish guy in the movie and all the rude and dirty attitudes are made by Turks, especially the security forces. There is no security member that is sensible and polite in Turkey, I guess.

It is the scriptwriter’s mistake which causes the understanding I stated above. In my humble opinion she made her choices to show the oppression of minorities in a dramatic way but on the other hand she has forgotten why all these things happen, the reasons of the oppression etc. There are many holes in the story which makes it difficult to observe the story in a multiple perspective.

So I chose to review it in a cinematographic aspect but I see that, although the movie collected some international awards, there are many amateurish dialogues between the characters which leave the viewer in surprise. In order to provide a natural way of narrating the scriptwriter chose unknown actors and used a simple narrating but she couldn’t make the balance between being natural or amateurish. Also the bad acting of the characters helped it a lot, in my opinion.

And lastly I would like to mention about the tagline of the movie which is “A movie about peace and brotherhood.” Peace? I couldn’t see any peace in the movie.

To summarize I would like to say that I prefer to learn about these sort of sensitive issues like the minority problems from history and sociology books instead of one sided, dramatically narrated movies. I hope I could have explained my viewpoints and thoughts in a polite and understandable way.

No comments:

END OF LINE